Lineup for Saturday...

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Blues Breakdown

Post by Blues Breakdown »

Kristoff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 pm I'd go along with that, to be fair, I was expecting that when he signed, but it's not happened.

Thought we'd be going something like:

Etheridge
Colin Dean Friend Pedersen
Sunjic Harper
Sanchez Halilovic Bela
Hogan

But he seems to be more favouring the 4141 of late, so maybe:

Etheridge
Colin Dean JCS Pedersen
Sunjic
Sanchez Harper Gardner Bela
Hogan

Although as @Screamoblue said the other day, Harper looks like he could offer composure and energy from the deeper role.
Like the look of the 4141 there, although I thought Harper operated nicely deeper, look composed on the ball, with Gards and Sunjic doing the dirty work in front of him. Also think we looked half decent playing this set up in a couple of games

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

I'd play a pressing 4-3-3 with...

1. Our three most athletic CMs all having the license to press high when required & affect the game going forwards.
2. Proper rotation between the front three, allowing Sanchez and Bela the freedom to swap and try getting in some crosses from the byline on their natural wings.

Etheridge
Colin Dean Clarke-Salter Pedersen
Harper Sunjic Gardner
Sanchez Hogan Bela

Y'know, a bit of energy in the centre of the park and something a little less predictable in attack. IMO, those changes could make all the difference.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Think me and @Screamoblue talked about a 433 on the podcast, adventurous and allowing the forward 3 to be a 3 leaving the defensive side to the midfield 3...

Can’t see it though.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

Yes, I agreed with your thoughts on it... but you're right, it's far too adventurous for Karanka.

In terms of the gaffer's mentality, playing with the 'shackles on' may be a large part of the reason why the players are so edgy, can't create chances and look devoid of energy & enthusiasm.

Certainly bracing myself for the teamsheet confirmation that it's San José in a deep lying midfield role in an effective 5-4-1.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:21 pm
In terms of the gaffer's mentality, playing with the 'shackles on' may be a large part of the reason why the players are so edgy, can't create chances and look devoid of energy & enthusiasm.
Very possibly.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

The clamour for 442 is mad. Virtually nobody uses it anymore. It's too easy to shut down & defend long crosses and get overrun in CM, especially with our players.

Our issue is not creating enough despite improved possession and territory in 2021. 4231 hasn't worked because we haven't found an effective #10 and the quality from sanchez and Bela hasn't been there (not helped by both full-backs having at best average seasons). The same with 4141 but worse cos MSJ has to play and as much as a like him on the ball he's terrible out of possession.

So I think you end up with a 433 to try and get as our better ball players in, this:

Colin; Dean or Roberts; JCS; Peds
Gardener; Harper; Sunjic
Sanchez; Hogan; Helilovic

I think that's what I'd do but it's deckchairs on the Titanic really....

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

willvbcfc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 pm
Etheridge
Colin Dean Clarke-Salter Pedersen
Harper Sunjic Gardner
Sanchez Hogan Bela