Match Thread: Sheff Weds

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Evanio

Post by Evanio »

I agree, unfortunately what’s gone on before may have clouded opinion.
A ‘must win’ game against poor opponents with 10 men, not forgetting significantly we’re 1 win in what 11 before today, I can understand the protection approach.
Team management in other games, obviously Wycombe, were far more questionable.
So relieved to win, I’m sure everyone is, let’s enjoy it without looking to find fault.

berti auld

Post by berti auld »

What pleased me more than anything was the clenched teeth and fist-pumping! They showed that they cared. My man of the match emmm not sure but I think peds by a short head from gards and harper but they all played well. Very disappointed jose was put on, what's the betting he starts Tuesday. Enjoy your weekend I will Kro.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I should say, fair play on the Halilovic change though. It was an obvious one, but he made it.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

I think we're largely in agreement - i.e. given our propensity NOT to see games out by conceding in last 15, changing it to try & see the game out is an odd call.

But the fact remains that we DID see it out and at the same time created as much goal threat as they did. It should give the defenders much needed confidence and belief going forward.

Be interesting to see if we park the bus on Tuesday. Hope not!

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I can actually see him going with the same team that ended tonight (Leko aside), worryingly.

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

Kristoff wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:22 pm I can actually see him going with the same team that ended tonight (Leko aside), worryingly.
You're straying towards criticising him for things he hasn't done yet. Let's judge him on results and performances, not a team selection he may or may not make!

Screamoblue

Post by Screamoblue »

I couldn't watch the game live due to my daughters birthday, but I've just watched it back now.

Firstly, I’d suggest watching back and knowing the result i wasn’t going to be as emotionally charged.l as many others.

Anyway, that starting 11 is the team I've wanted to see for a few weeks. I think this will be our best team going forward. Whether AK thinks the same who knows.

It was a fairly solid performance and a deserved victory. I've seen a lot of dismay and confusion around Harper playing so deep, but I genuinely think we will be a better team with him playing there. He's always showing for the ball in a similar manner that Barry Ferguson did. He picks up the ball from the defence, takes pressure off them reducing the need to punt the ball forward only to see it come straight back. Improves our ball retention considerably. I also think it leaves Gardner to just put himself about the pitch and be really effective no matter where he is.

No chance was Bela crossing for the goal. That was a shot. It does prove that we can get something from at least having a shot though! Hogan's movement is massively underrated, that was pure strikers instinct.

One thing that I don't think was picked up was shortly after we scored there was a clear sense of fear in a few of the players. Probably scared to make a mistake and just wanted to get rid of the ball very quickly. Reverting to punting it up field, we started to become a bit disjointed. Naturally AK made subs that he thought might counteract that.

People will moan about the subs, but we did seem a little calmer after they came on, even if we dropped a bit deeper we still created a couple of decent chances before the final whistle.

Thankful for that Etheridge save but looking at it a few times it was fairly routine. Don't buy into it being a wonder save. If he'd conceded that everyone would be having a go at him.

Harper, Gardner, Hogan , Dean, JCS and Pedersen my standouts, but a great team effort.

Up the Blues!
The other co-host of the We Are Birmingham Podcast: Listen Now!

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Alexjames wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:48 pm You're straying towards criticising him for things he hasn't done yet. Let's judge him on results and performances, not a team selection he may or may not make!
I think it’s a perfectly acceptable thing to say, if I’m honest. As he has shown previously this season that against Norwich/Watford, he will set up with little intent on attacking the game. Hopefully he sticks with an unchanged team, but I don’t think it’s unfair to predict that he won’t.