Match Thread: Sheff Weds

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

Sunjic off, Halilovic on. Positive change.

Can’t actually fault AK’s thinking so far today...

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 pm So, do we stick or twist?

Perhaps add a #10 in there to unlock the Wednesday defence, or a second striker to partner Hogan?
He’s done that and we’ve scored immediately. He now needs to sure up the defence 🤣
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:22 pm Sunjic off, Halilovic on. Positive change.

Can’t actually fault AK’s thinking so far today...
Nope, fair play and it’s paid off (indirectly).

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

Massive goal. A product of logical tactical decision making!

Do not change the shape, whatever you do Karanka.

With Harper, Gardner, Halilovic, Bela and Sanchez all on the pitch, there is absolutely no reason why we can’t play the ball around 10 man Wednesday and wear them into the ground to get a killer second.

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

Oh Jesus Christ what has he done?!

San Jose and Roberts on, Sanchez and Bela off. Exactly the opposite of what I would have done. Inviting pressure rather than controlling the game.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 pm Oh Jesus Christ what has he done?!

San Jose and Roberts on, Sanchez and Bela off. Exactly the opposite of what I would have done. Inviting pressure rather than controlling the game.
That was absolutely asking for trouble. Rather than trying to kill the game off, his thoughts come to clinging on. I can't get behind that at all. I'm glad we won, but it doesn't change my stance on him at all.

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

I'm in the same boat. We pressed them and they sat deep whilst we had sanchez and bela on. Taking them off let them press higher as we were more rigid and lacked width.
Said everything to me and I agree he still needs to go.

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

In the end, it took a really smart Etheridge stop to keep the 3pts.

Delighted with the win, but the fact we benefitted from a Wednesday player getting sent off and then the way Karanka changed it for the last 15 mins doesn’t give me hope that we’ve turned a corner with him.

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

I agree about going defensive being the wrong approach.....we aren't good enough defensively. However let's be fair & objective...

Firstly and most importantly, it worked.

Secondly it's a pretty common approach. Look at Rowett's Millwall t'other night.

Thirdly we still created 2 very good chances

Fourthly I've no problem with a coach having an expectation that his team can see out a game for 20 mins against a very poor team with 10 men. Nowt wrong with setting the bar at that standard and expect his players to deliver.

Like I say,I wouldn't have done it but credit where it's due when it works.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

1, I’m not sure how much it worked. I thought it invited pressure. We held on, I’m not sure that’s a “it worked” as I’m not sure we were really up against it, but it didn’t backfire.

2, Rowett’s team are well drilled and organised. They set up to play in a certain way. The big difference to look at is how Millwall weren’t troubled by us at all, but 10 man Wednesday created a great chance that Etheridge saved, not to mention the fact that they still had some outlets that eventually got them a second and should’ve had them a pen... And that was against 11 men.

3, We did. The point is we made it much more difficult to see out than we needed to.

4, My issue with that is the coach maybe not knowing his team well enough. You said yourself, we aren’t good enough defensively.

I think we held on in spite of what he did, rather than because of it. I’m also not sure we win without the red card...

But it’s 3 much needed points, so up the fucking Blues!