The Aftermath

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Nagoya Aoi

Post by Nagoya Aoi »

After the final whistle I decided to stay away from social media, forums and the old mans “Play-off push?” WhatsApp messages as I wanted to sleep on it before reacting.

I’m absolutely delighted we got the 3 points, relieved to have our heads above the dark and murky waterline of league one and encouraged by Rakeem Harper’s performance (whisper it quietly - we have a midfielder who can pass!). Scott Hogan looks born again, having an in-form striker in a relegation scrap is the hope to cling onto.

However, my overriding feeling is still one that Karanka isn’t the man.
Prior to the sending off only a Gary Gardner header was the only chance created, which came from a set piece.

That’s not good enough.

The Halilovic sub (as mentioned by Kristoff) was the right one, albeit obvious; but the wingers for centre half’s routine is one I’ll never get on board with.
I said it elsewhere, he makes that sub even if he was 20 points clear at the top on the last game of the season, it’s who he is - which is why I’ll never warm to him.

That view makes me bias to some extent, but it allows me to see through the inevitable hyperbole on social media and SHA, where it seems some have forgotten the previous 1 win in 14.

I hope it’s a catalyst for change in our season, but a 1-0 win against a 10-man opposition who also occupy the relegation zone is nothing to get carried away by.
The old habits and restrictive natures of our manager will never change, there in lies the problem.

A free hit at Norwich on Tuesday?
No chance, 11 men behind the ball and inevitable defeat.

Final thoughts from the old man; “Great we won son, but it’s shit he’s still here!”
You and I are gonna to live forever

FrankyWorthington

Post by FrankyWorthington »

I felt much the same. Down to 10-men they were, and your first thought shouldn’t really be being worried about the opposition. It very nearly cost us big time if Jordan Rhodes finds the corner with that header.

Much as I’m ecstatic with the win I really don’t think we’re going to score enough goals..that still stands.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

That’s exactly where I am, summed up very well. @Screamoblue mentioned on another thread about players panicking after we went in front and the Roberts/MSJ change settled them. I don’t doubt there was perhaps some panic, but I don’t think that means you need to bring on defensive players.

Ultimately, we got the win, and most people are happy about that. But as you say, it’s a 1-0 win against 10 men who also struggle to score goals and who are (were) also in the relegation zone. Go and kill the game off.

I don’t think Karanka was going to get sacked even if he lost yesterday and the next 3 games, ultimately I’m glad we have some points.

Let’s hope it gives the players a bit of belief in what Karanka is doing and they can continue it in the next few games, although Norwich will be tough.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

berti auld

Post by berti auld »

In all fairness to the owls, they had won their last 5 home matches and were in decent form. So I feel it is irrelevant what league position they occupied. They did throw a lot of attackers on so I thought Robbo was a good sub but I did groan when I saw Jose come on but we won and that was a good result.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

berti auld wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:06 pm In all fairness to the owls, they had won their last 5 home matches and were in decent form. So I feel it is irrelevant what league position they occupied. They did throw a lot of attackers on so I thought Robbo was a good sub but I did groan when I saw Jose come on but we won and that was a good result.
They had, but I feel with 10 men, the way the game had gone and the way it had played out probably didn't require us to shut up the way we did. I just feel that is something he feels the game should be played.

carlbcfc

Post by carlbcfc »

She’d Weds should be 16th without the deduction, so it went exactly a struggling side.

A very good win, badly needed.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

carlbcfc wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:57 pm She’d Weds should be 16th without the deduction, so it went exactly a struggling side.

A very good win, badly needed.
On points, agreed. However they were joint lowest scorers with us and Wycombe I think... They're now lowest scorers, so they too have struggled for goals.

carlbcfc

Post by carlbcfc »

Whatever happened to Jordan Rhodes? I saw him & Karanka having chat after the game.

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

I think I am in the same boat, Chris.

I just dont think that the result at Sheffield signals change, because its a mixture of flakey player confidence combined with the inability to fix this with Karanka and his team.

He demonstrated his tactics are the same, he isnt being dynamic, neither can he inspire and help the players get over this confidence issue. He is too calm for me, uninspiring and narrow.

I think we will come unstuck again v Norwich then what do we do then.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

carlbcfc wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:01 am Whatever happened to Jordan Rhodes? I saw him & Karanka having chat after the game.
His career stalled after a move to Aitor Karanka's Boro... 😬