Lineup for Barnsley?

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Connor1875

Post by Connor1875 »

I'd be interested to get everyone's thoughts, given the sheer amount of games we've played in a short space of time and the clear fatigue against Huddersfield.

Given Barnsley's 3-4-3 lineup, I'd personally go:

Etheridge

Colin - Roberts - Dean - Pedersen

Gardner - Sunjic

Sanchez - McGree - Bela

Hogan

Think McGree's energy in the 10 could be useful against a 2 man central midfield. Sanchez is desperate for a rest but I'm not sure Valery is good enough.

If we're chasing the game, get Halilovic on around 60 minutes.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I'd revert back to the 4141/433 that had us looking good... With the exception of sticking with Robbo over JCS. Harper is a doubt from what I saw earlier though, but if he doesn't make it, anyone but Clayton/MSJ.

Etheridge

Colin Roberts Dean Pedersen

Harper

Sanchez Gardner Sunjic Bela

Hogan

Felt the changes the other night were harsh on Hogan and JCS but Roberts put in a performance that means he can't be dropped really.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

Kristoff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm I'd revert back to the 4141/433 that had us looking good... With the exception of sticking with Robbo over JCS. Harper is a doubt from what I saw earlier though, but if he doesn't make it, anyone but Clayton/MSJ.

Etheridge

Harper

Hogan

Felt the changes the other night were harsh on Hogan and JCS but Roberts put in a performance that means he can't be dropped really.
I agree with Chris here, especially the comment about anyone but MSJ or Clayton, This with bells on

Screamoblue

Post by Screamoblue »

Kristoff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm I'd revert back to the 4141/433 that had us looking good... With the exception of sticking with Robbo over JCS. Harper is a doubt from what I saw earlier though, but if he doesn't make it, anyone but Clayton/MSJ.

Etheridge

Harper

Hogan

Same for me. I think Harper was just tired based on AK's comments, so hopefully they've managed him carefully and reduced his workload in training.

A lot of talk about the Barnsley high press energy and causing a lot of teams problems. It is similar to Leeds and in some cases how Klopp's Liverpool prior to this season. We definitely don't want to be messing about with possession. It would serve us well to be very direct, knocking the ball over the top and in the channels for Bela, Hogan and Sanchez. I know he's not having the best of times recently, but I'd be considering Leko for a start in this game. Maybe for Sanchez given his injury issues.
The other co-host of the We Are Birmingham Podcast: Listen Now!

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Screamoblue wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 pm Same for me. I think Harper was just tired based on AK's comments,
I only get a few words in and I start nodding off 😬😴

Screamoblue

Post by Screamoblue »

😂
The other co-host of the We Are Birmingham Podcast: Listen Now!

Connor1875

Post by Connor1875 »

Etheridge

Harper

Hogan

Yeah that’s a solid lineup, probably the best we’ve got. Mine is mainly based on how tired Harper looked vs Hudds. I think by going 4-2-3-1 it means we don’t necessarily need an MSJ or Clayton coming in.

Connor1875

Post by Connor1875 »

Screamoblue wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 pm Same for me. I think Harper was just tired based on AK's comments, so hopefully they've managed him carefully and reduced his workload in training.

A lot of talk about the Barnsley high press energy and causing a lot of teams problems. It is similar to Leeds and in some cases how Klopp's Liverpool prior to this season. We definitely don't want to be messing about with possession. It would serve us well to be very direct, knocking the ball over the top and in the channels for Bela, Hogan and Sanchez. I know he's not having the best of times recently, but I'd be considering Leko for a start in this game. Maybe for Sanchez given his injury issues.
Yep I agree with that. Barnsley’s system is another reason I’d start with a number 10 to try and give us an option between their two man midfield and three man defence. Would love to see Halilovic in that role but can’t see him lasting more than 60-70 minutes.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Connor1875 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 am Yeah that’s a solid lineup, probably the best we’ve got. Mine is mainly based on how tired Harper looked vs Hudds. I think by going 4-2-3-1 it means we don’t necessarily need an MSJ or Clayton coming in.
I actually don’t think MSJ or Clayton even work in the 4231 anyway. Clayton 5 years ago, maybe, but he can’t do that at this level anymore as he’s way too slow. He actually looks unfit too, although he’s apparently not.

2 from Harper, Gardner and Sunjic would work. Boyd-Munce is close to returning according the that Mirror article yesterday too, so that would be another to throw in to the mix.

Connor1875

Post by Connor1875 »

Kristoff wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 am I actually don’t think MSJ or Clayton even work in the 4231 anyway. Clayton 5 years ago, maybe, but he can’t do that at this level anymore as he’s way too slow. He actually looks unfit too, although he’s apparently not.

2 from Harper, Gardner and Sunjic would work. Boyd-Munce is close to returning according the that Mirror article yesterday too, so that would be another to throw in to the mix.
Yeah definitely. MSJ especially is miles better as a lone holding midfielder, dropping between the centre halves to play.

As poor as Clayton has been I do feel for him a little. Some horrendous mistakes yes, but he has come in without a pre-season and before he could get up to speed, got injured and just hasn't been the same since.

We definitely need better, but I do feel for him a bit.