Leko

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Evanio

Post by Evanio »

I think the man definitely has something, a rare commodity amongst Blues players in recent years, great ability.

I think the man has also suffered both a serious ACL injury and a subsequent loss of ‘Karanka’ confidence.

I think Lee Bowyer will persevere and produce a player for us.

Good managers get the best of players, so let’s all get on board, KRO Blue Brothers & Sisters..

Noosablue

Post by Noosablue »

I’m not convinced at all. Very little to give me any confidence at the moment. A goal would help perhaps. I think the fact Leko starts every week is a sad reflection of Cosgrove’s ability as a footballer. Hopefully Bowyer can get something from him too.

Pashun

Post by Pashun »

Not sure he has something to be honest. He has pace and can beat a man (when not tackled by the ball), not sure what he apart from that though.

He was better against Rotherham though. Hopefully he can build on that and keep improving. We need pace in the team though so would keep playing him for the time being.

Will be interested to see how he gets on next season.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Not going to give up on him yet. He’s working hard, end product seems questionable though.

Let’s just hope Bowyer can get something out of him.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

He is doing the job he needs to at the moment and really stretching defenders of the opposition. Adds a different dynamic and willing to run the channels.
I think he needs a goal to be fair.

Screamoblue

Post by Screamoblue »

I think it's pretty shortsighted to suggest he hasn't got anything. He was bought for his potential and long-term value. It's fairly obvious he hasn't pulled up any trees, but he's less than a year into his contract and coming off the back of a bad injury. He's had no pre-season and spent most of it playing under a manager that didn't know how to utilise him and publicly put him down. His confidence was fairly obviously on the floor.

We all know Bowyer has had him firing before and he obviously has belief in him, otherwise he wouldn't have been playing him in such important games. He has pace and trickery, his decision making and final ball is lacking, but if it wasn't he wouldn't be playing in the championship. We've already seen how direct he us and how quickly he can get us up the pitch, win free-kicks and penalties and just cause general problems for the opposition. With a bit more TLC and some better coaching I'm sure we'll see a more impactful Leko next season.
The other co-host of the We Are Birmingham Podcast: Listen Now!

berti auld

Post by berti auld »

Screamoblue wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:38 pm I think it's pretty shortsighted to suggest he hasn't got anything. He was bought for his potential and long-term value. It's fairly obvious he hasn't pulled up any trees, but he's less than a year into his contract and coming off the back of a bad injury. He's had no pre-season and spent most of it playing under a manager that didn't know how to utilise him and publicly put him down. His confidence was fairly obviously on the floor.

We all know Bowyer has had him firing before and he obviously has belief in him, otherwise he wouldn't have been playing him in such important games. He has pace and trickery, his decision making and final ball is lacking, but if it wasn't he wouldn't be playing in the championship. We've already seen how direct he us and how quickly he can get us up the pitch, win free-kicks and penalties and just cause general problems for the opposition. With a bit more TLC and some better coaching I'm sure we'll see a more impactful Leko next season.
As always my hero Screamo you are bang on with your reading of the situation 👀😜💋😂

willvbcfc

Post by willvbcfc »

I've seen a lot of tweets calling him 'lazy'.... I don't have a clue what game those people are watching. He does a huge amount of running with and without the ball.

I'll admit, If there's a 50/50 aerial challenge, then he can approach it a little half heartedly. But anything into his feet, he backs in, uses his body well and the ball seems to stick.

Leko's shortcomings are possibly one of the most frustrating, but are ultimately fixable. It all comes down to decision making & confidence, both of which can be taught and gained respectively.

If I were a manager, this is the sort of challenge I would relish. It's the whole point of a coach, isn't it? Work with raw, talented players and improve them. Leko represents a big opportunity for Bow. With some intensive training, an arm round his shoulder and at some point, his first goal behind him, who knows what he can become?

Pashun

Post by Pashun »

My post was poorly worded. I was responding to it being said that he definitely has something.

Yes I know he's has a bad injury, yes he's young and yes he's had the Shruginator manage him for most of the season but he's still been disappointing by any measure. Whilst it might be short sighted to say he hasn't got anything I'm not sure how anyone can say he has great ability based on his current performances.

Fingers crossed we start to see improvement under him next season and the original poster is proved correct.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am If I were a manager, this is the sort of challenge I would relish. It's the whole point of a coach, isn't it? Work with raw, talented players and improve them. Leko represents a big opportunity for Bow. With some intensive training, an arm round his shoulder and at some point, his first goal behind him, who knows what he can become?
Absolutely this. And I'm sure he feels there is something there, hence him persisting.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!