Luton

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

willvbcfc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 pm
My point is that deploying San José in such a deep role that he's effectively sitting on the toes of the centre halves makes us sit into a pretty defensive low block 5-4-1 that can be very difficult to then break out of and transition quickly into attacking play.

As for crosses from the byline, Boro was a Colin overlap and Bournemouth was Gardner breaking forwards from central areas. Something tells me that if Bela & Sanchez were to have 15 minutes going on the outside of defenders, we'd create quite a few more menacing situations for opposition defences!
I'm just not sure we can afford to play MSJ. I'm not sure we can afford the comfort of someone lacking the energy unless we're playing 352, which I don't think we have the rest of the squad to play.

As for crossing, it was nice to hear Hogan after the game the other day say that there has been talk about getting the ball in quicker... I'd prefer us to try them on their "natural" wings, but AK seems very reluctant to try this...
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

I would like to see a central midfield of Sunjic sweeping sitting in front of the back four and Harper and Gardner in the centre, both of which can pick the ball up and drive. Love a bit of drive...

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

KROJim wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:00 pm I would like to see a central midfield of Sunjic sweeping sitting in front of the back four and Harper and Gardner in the centre, both of which can pick the ball up and drive. Love a bit of drive...
I'd be keen for us to try either of the following...

Bela Gardner Harper Sanchez
Sunjic

or

Bela Toral Sanchez
Sunjic Harper

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

I think Bela and Toral have been having a few bad days recently, flitting in and out of games. Whatever he goes with he needs to persist with, chopping and changing isnt giving anyone a chance to get into form.

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

willvbcfc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 pm I'm not saying all three CMs go marauding simultaneously from first whistle to last. "Hold and give, but do it at the right time!"

My point is that deploying San José in such a deep role that he's effectively sitting on the toes of the centre halves makes us sit into a pretty defensive low block 5-4-1 that can be very difficult to then break out of and transition quickly into attacking play.

As for crosses from the byline, Boro was a Colin overlap and Bournemouth was Gardner breaking forwards from central areas. Something tells me that if Bela & Sanchez were to have 15 minutes going on the outside of defenders, we'd create quite a few more menacing situations for opposition defences!
We've used 4141 with MSJ sitting in the last 2 games and on neither occasion were we set up in anything like a low block. First 35 mins v Bournemouth we were camped in their half our high pressing was that good. Ditto 2nd half at Wycombe. MSJ played key passes in both goals too!

Finally found a system that suits us. We should stick with it.

As for crosses, yep let's have more if it. But like I say we already are getting better at this. Doesn't matter who delivers it (Bela's crossing ain't that good tbh). or whether it's from bye-line or not as long as it's quality. See 2nd goal on sat and Colin's miss v Wycombe. 👍

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Alexjames wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm We've used 4141 with MSJ sitting in the last 2 games and on neither occasion were we set up in anything like a low block. First 35 mins v Bournemouth we were camped in their half our high pressing was that good. Ditto 2nd half at Wycombe. MSJ played key passes in both goals too!

Finally found a system that suits us. We should stick with it.

As for crosses, yep let's have more if it. But like I say we already are getting better at this. Doesn't matter who delivers it (Bela's crossing ain't that good tbh). or whether it's from bye-line or not as long as it's quality. See 2nd goal on sat and Colin's miss v Wycombe. 👍
I'm not sure it suits us as such. The first half against Bournemouth was very good, and maybe took them by surprise, but it wasn't hard for them to adapt to playing to. Once behind the line of our pressing midfielders they had MSJ who they could ease past. Their first goal came from Dean winning a header that MSJ should probably have been winning. I'd say "suits us" is a bit optimistic at this stage to be honest. Time will tell.

Danblue

Post by Danblue »

I don’t think the system is the issue tbh. I think the coaching defensively has really hindered us compared to coaching play like Barcelona pep was told to do. Fornation for players that can play it. Not formation that the gaffer wants but does not have the players to do it. Or players that have no idea as games we press, game we sit back, games we try to play, games we just lump it, games we take off two wingers and put juke up front, games we play wingers and hogan up front on his own, the bloke is a clown. Simples

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

Kristoff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm I'm not sure it suits us as such. The first half against Bournemouth was very good, and maybe took them by surprise, but it wasn't hard for them to adapt to playing to. Once behind the line of our pressing midfielders they had MSJ who they could ease past. Their first goal came from Dean winning a header that MSJ should probably have been winning. I'd say "suits us" is a bit optimistic at this stage to be honest. Time will tell.
That's harsh on MSJ re bournemouth's 1st. Don't see Sunjic winning too many headers from long goal kicks against the opposition's target man! MSJ could have done better on 2nd ball though TBF. Also Friend litterally stood watching 15 yards behind Dean allowing Danjuma to jog into in space and forcing Colin to follow him! If Friend had followed Dean out there'd have been no space for Bmouth, danger averted.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Having watched it back, it probably is harsh, but if he’s playing that sitting role, it probably drops where he should be, although there’s every chance he’s been told to push slightly ahead and for Dean to come and win those.

Dean does need to drop back in there though, and by design I don’t think they want the whole defensive line rushing out, otherwise I think Friend would go.