Luton

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Essentially now a MUST WIN in my eyes, for Karanka anyway. If I'm Karanka I think I revert back to the 4231, with Hogan and Tricky Vicky (Halilovic) if he's fit... Sunjic and Harper as the deeper 2.

Can't see him dropping Captain Dean at the moment as he wants to steady the ship, I'd think, but probably deserves dropping.

Not even going to attempt a prediction until we record the podcast this week!
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Mrtatty

Post by Mrtatty »

Completely agree it’s a must win. You’d think that if we lose the board would cut their losses, but then knowing this board they will leave it as long as possible.

I’d quite like two up top, giving Cosgrove and Hogan a chance, but it will be one up top with Toral behind Hogan I think!

Score line I just feel we are looking at a draw

FrankyWorthington

Post by FrankyWorthington »

Surely the law of averages says we’ve got to fluke a Home win somewhere..I don’t know, something like Luton go down to ten men after 5 mins or something(!)

It’s absolutely barmy the Home record. If we vacan somehow improve on that there’s still a chance.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

FrankyWorthington wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 am Surely the law of averages says we’ve got to fluke a Home win somewhere..I don’t know, something like Luton go down to ten men after 5 mins or something(!)

It’s absolutely barmy the Home record. If we vacan somehow improve on that there’s still a chance.
Pessimist in me, but I can't even see us fluking anything at the moment.

Would be very interested to see what he would do if we go ahead against a beatable team. Whether he tries to shut up shop at 1-0 or if he's capable of trying to see off a game.

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

We cant seem to get any luck at the moment, but then again you create your own.

Individual errors have been costing us lately, big time, but Karanka doesn't react (in any sense of the word IMO).

I cant see us keeping a clean sheet at the moment, so itll be down to scoring more than Luton. Perhaps 2-1, could be either way though.

Oz

Post by Oz »

We have to win. I think if we lose Karankas role will be untenable.

You can’t keep losing games and coming out and saying that it’s bad luck or that you can’t knock the players and that they work hard on the training ground. None of that means anything when you fail to win football matches.

Mrtatty

Post by Mrtatty »

Kristoff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 am
FrankyWorthington wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 am Surely the law of averages says we’ve got to fluke a Home win somewhere..I don’t know, something like Luton go down to ten men after 5 mins or something(!)

Pessimist in me, but I can't even see us fluking anything at the moment.

Would be very interested to see what he would do if we go ahead against a beatable team. Whether he tries to shut up shop at 1-0 or if he's capable of trying to see off a game.
This is the thing, we’ve seen it enough times this season, he is happy to sit back and try and shut up shop and keep the one nil. It’s shown by how many points we’ve lost from winning positions that he won’t try and see off the game. Granted he can’t be blamed for individual mistakes but he can be blamed for the defensive subs made when 1-0 up!

Jp1875

Post by Jp1875 »

Genuinely can see us winning this game.
Why? Don't know lol

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Mrtatty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am This is the thing, we’ve seen it enough times this season, he is happy to sit back and try and shut up shop and keep the one nil. It’s shown by how many points we’ve lost from winning positions that he won’t try and see off the game. Granted he can’t be blamed for individual mistakes but he can be blamed for the defensive subs made when 1-0 up!
The worrying thing is that he keeps trying it, but I'm not sure we're good enough to defend a 1-0 lead generally, although I'll hold my hands up, we did it successfully against Boro.

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

With 18 games left it's not really a "must win" but I get your drift - it's hugely important that we either win or if we do only manage a draw come off at the end thinking "how the effing hell did we not win that".

After the recent slight improvement in performances (Harlee Dean's concentration notwithstanding) I'm cautiously optimistic for the first time in a while. I think 433 suits us well and even if Helilovic is fit I'd stick with it.

I genuinely think we will win this by more than one goal......(kiss of death)