Radio WM

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Oz

Post by Oz »

The Football Phone has been quite entertaining over the past few days for the first time in a very long while.

Lots of angry Blues fans starting to demand answers. Richard Wilford has been in the firing line. Ultimately, if you want to take the admiration of creating ‘wilf bombs’ you’ve also got to take the rough times when the fans feel you could be doing more to to ask the more important and telling questions of members of the Blues Board he clearly has Ren Dongs ear.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I have a bit of sympathy for Wilf... I understand the fan side of things, but ultimately he's been trying to find a balance of making himself useful at work (having a good relationship with the club hierarchy) and keeping fans onside. I think he's probably swayed a little bit too much to the side of being pally with Dong, and probably enjoyed the connection getting the exclusives from the top guy at the club.

I think he's probably tried to get Dong to answer questions fans want answered, as have others, but basically just gets told it won't happen.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Macca

Post by Macca »

The clip that was floating about on Twitter seemed to me to have been sensationalised by people, I thought wilf answered the question in a calm manner and defended himself like anybody would when they are being criticised. I think the way Wilf words his questions sometimes allows people to wriggle out and swerve the main points and he needs to be a little more direct, but asking Karanka if he thinks he should resign just seems pointless. What purpose does that serve?

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Macca wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:13 pm The clip that was floating about on Twitter seemed to me to have been sensationalised by people, I thought wilf answered the question in a calm manner and defended himself like anybody would when they are being criticised. I think the way Wilf words his questions sometimes allows people to wriggle out and swerve the main points and he needs to be a little more direct, but asking Karanka if he thinks he should resign just seems pointless. What purpose does that serve?
Totally agree. If he thinks he should resign, he should resign 😆

Oz

Post by Oz »

Kristoff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:58 am I have a bit of sympathy for Wilf... I understand the fan side of things, but ultimately he's been trying to find a balance of making himself useful at work (having a good relationship with the club hierarchy) and keeping fans onside. I think he's probably swayed a little bit too much to the side of being pally with Dong, and probably enjoyed the connection getting the exclusives from the top guy at the club.

I think he's probably tried to get Dong to answer questions fans want answered, as have others, but basically just gets told it won't happen.
I actually don’t think his questions to Karanka after the game on Saturday were not that bad at all. He put some good points across. It’s just a shame the coach just mumbles any old rubbish in answer and he’s not going to ask if the manager is thinking about resigning, that’s ridiculous.

But Wilf hasn’t been asked questions about Dong. The clubs CEO, the man who has presided over year after year of utter incompetence and if a member of the BBC has any kind of relationship with that person they should be either asking the questions and getting the answers or letting the fans know that he has tried to get those answers from the top.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I don't disagree, however, I understand that he has to balance that. If he pisses Dong off and gets shut out from Blues (as has happened with others previously), he risks his job with the BBC as he'll not have any access.