Recruitment

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Another big topic over the past few months has been the recruitment policy at the club.

Personally, last Summers business has been abysmal and has set us back once again with players aged 30 and over signed on 2 year contracts. Baffling stuff.

Going from attempting to create a philosophy of bringing in young players with potential, from Pedersen and Mrabti to Villalba and Crowley to last Summers ‘we need more leaders’ debacle, it really has struck me how absolutely clueless and also how weak our CEO is.

Had he stuck to those principles of 18/19 we may have been in a better position than where are now with a younger spine with energy and new ideas.

The table doesn’t lie, the summer’s recruitment was not a success what so ever.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

In terms of what we brought in in the summer, Sanchez has probably been the best piece of business. Such a bright spark even though often the final ball is missing, which I often think is down to the system rather than him.

Friend and Clayton were obviously brought in to be Karanka’s generals, his reliable leaders. I think only Friend has come close to that, and by all accounts acts like a real captain. The 2 year deal for Clayton is currently looking a terrible piece of business.

I’m not too sure what the thinking was on MSJ, knowing we was pretty slow, the only real role I think he fits in is a midfield 3/5 sitting deep, but he can cover as a CB... But he’d already signed Clayton and had an abundance of CB’s and then added JCS too.

On top of that, we had Leko, who was always going to be a long term, slow-burner. However, as of yet we haven’t seen anything other than glimpses, although after his injury I think he needs a lot of patience.

McGree feels like a dodgy deal, came in and had a handful of games but doesn’t seem to be fancied.

Then there’s Hogan who doesn’t feel like a bee signing, not sure he is totally suited to the system, though he could be a success if we played to his strengths.

All in all it’s not been a massive success, but I think that probably just shows the situation at the club over the last few years. I don’t feel like many of these signings came from scouting, rather suggestions from agents or advisers.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

There is a lack of spine in this squad. I look back to the cup winning squad and those before and I see the likes of Carr, Ferguson, Cole, Phillips, Bowyer and many, many others that have came before them also, that just have something else about them that shouts confidence and experience and its been missing here for a long time.

I have never been a fan of Dean, and Roberts I think is still a heavy footed risk magnet, I just dont feel like we have ever brought in the quality we actually needed, aside from Friend actually, who's body is letting him down rather than himself.

This is not a Birmingham City team I recognise, and Ill be fair to say that I think this view may well be 'wrong', as I just havent been convinced that our fan base, or even myself, can be convinced that having these 'luxury' players will work for us. I guess its all about balance but I think that itll take monumental change to steady us and with this I mean from the very top. If that doesnt change, nothing else will, not really.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I do think sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on passionate battlers. People see things not working without those passionate players and think that's the issue...

I actually think the issues we have at the moment stem from the top. We've all seen down the road how a toxic atmosphere can filter down and affect things on the pitch and I personally think that's where we are right now. Passionate performances may add a handful of points, but I think we've got a good enough squad to be mid-table, but the whole club is a shit show.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

Agreed.

Dong has and always will be a problem but he is there due to the overall problem.

I did get an email from HKSE just this morning actually and SFC saying they will investigate and respond only if the case is updated... let see what happens

Danblue

Post by Danblue »

Hi Jim, I hope this new forum is not going to be a “mayor out TTA forum like sha?I was hoping real blues fans can voice there opinions on here unlike sha where we are all posters are bullied and controlled by the “popular posters” ??? I was hoping this forum could be voice for all the blues fans,thousands and thousands of them that never look at sha or post on SHA as there a very very poor representation of Birmingham supporters. I know your on both Jim. I do look but don’t post. I watch so many people get bullied and shot down by the sha “gang” I find it shameful to be blues tbh. There use of DVB to any fellow fan they disagree with disgusting. Well, each to there own I guess. I love forums, the chance for people to express there thoughts, opinions, I hope this is a real chance here.

KROJim

Post by KROJim »

Hi Dan,

Yes I am on both, I thought why the hell not be a part of the overall discussion. Ive used SHA for years now, since I was younger actually around 15, so to be fair, I have been on it quite a long time (since I started reading it at least).

I would say that each fan has their own opinion, I don't shoot anyone else down in flames but I have seen it there before but that's what its all about differences of opinion. Anything that may ever come my way I would give it back but I think we all realise that its just banter or words, nothing personal in anything really. Generally its a great crack all sorts of stuff discussed on there. What forum doesn't have its moments eh!

I have helped out the 1875 group with stuff in the past and I will continue to do so as I believe in what it is trying to achieve. Of course naturally I was always going to join in here as well!