Lineups For Luton

Discuss the latest on Birmingham City FC.
SJ_07

Post by SJ_07 »

_LukeStokes_ wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm With some improvements shown offensively against Bournemouth, but again individual errors costing us, what lineup would people like to see Karanka go with on Saturday?

Etheridge

Colin Dean Friend Peds

Sunjic Harper

Leko Sanchez Bela

Hogan

Putting Sanchez in the middle as the only CAM to impress me this year is made of glass (Halilovic). I think Leko needs a run in the side too - has real ability with the ball at feet just needs to learn the look up. Defense/Keeper picks itself - not a good thing.
🏰 ➡️ 🔛

Screamoblue

Post by Screamoblue »

Kristoff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 pm I'm not sure I can see Karanka dropping Dean, so think I'd probably go with this...

Etheridge

Colin - Dean - Friend - Pedersen

Sunjic - Harper

Sanchez - Toral - Bela

Hogan

Although, wouldn't be adverse to:

Etheridge

Colin - Dean - Friend - Pedersen

Sunjic

Sanchez - Gardner - Harper - Bela

Hogan

I think I'd stick with 4141 again.
I like the second line up. I think we agreed on this line up on the podcast actually 🤔
The other co-host of the We Are Birmingham Podcast: Listen Now!

Bluemachine

Post by Bluemachine »

Exactly how the emphasis isn’t on wide men delivering when Juke is on is a confusing one and I’d say the same with Cosgrove although he is supposed to be decent with his feet too but he would surely be very effective in the air with his size and strength - even to knock it down for hogan

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

Kristoff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:31 pm The only time we've seen Karanka go with 2 forwards is when we've been chasing the game isn't it? At which point he had no width... 🤯

We'll see where we go, I'm not sure he'll actually change anything thinking about it a bit more!
I think the "logic" with 2 up top and no wingers is, given game situation, we need to go long quickly and the likes of Gardener, Leko etc can fight for 2nds. Bela and Sanchez fanny around too much and Bela's delivery ain't good enough often enough.

If it's 343 i ain't got a massive problem with it as a plan B but FGS give it more than 3 minutes, eh?

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

4141 for me and it's a tight call but I'd start with the same 11 as we had for Bournemouth. 4231 an option after an hour or so if Helilovic fit (NOT Toral, he's finished IMO)

I understand the clamour for Sunjic at CDM but for me he's not good enough on the ball to play pivot and we'd risk ending up playing hoof ball at 3 small forwards. Tight call though.

TBH this Sat I'd say positive attitude & belief are more important than personnel & formation.

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I do get your point on Sunjic, but he showed on Saturday that he can use the ball, played a very good ball that should’ve created a good opening for us. We saw signs of what he can be like early on, I’m not giving up on him.
Co-Host of The WAB Podcast: Listen Now!

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

Kristoff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:21 pm I do get your point on Sunjic, but he showed on Saturday that he can use the ball, played a very good ball that should’ve created a good opening for us. We saw signs of what he can be like early on, I’m not giving up on him.
I have to say I've been a really big critic of his since he arrived but in the last few games he's won me round a bit. I'll never complain when players improve!

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

I thought he started very strongly and gradually declined, after lockdown he may as well not have come back!

Alexjames

Post by Alexjames »

Kristoff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:42 pm I thought he started very strongly and gradually declined, after lockdown he may as well not have come back!
TbF I wouldn't be hugely averse to dropping friend, letting MSJ drop back to CB instead. Sunjic CDM and Harper in. Probably too many changes though and Harper still a largely unknown quantity.

Cue Karanka to bring back Clayton 🤦

Kristoff

Post by Kristoff »

Don’t even joke...